3D Printing My Wedding Ring

Discussion in 'Bug Reporting' started by cakenggt, Apr 12, 2012.

1. cakenggt
    cakenggt Member
    I usually don't ever leave feedback on things that I buy (besides the occasional "good seller, fast shipping" comment on amazon) but I was just so blown away by shapeways that I have to this time.

I designed my and my fiance's wedding rings and I got them printed in silver (not at the same time) on shapeways. While I proposed with her wedding ring a couple months ago, I have been putting off printing my own to make sure there was nothing wrong with the model. After printing a prototype in white, strong, & flexible and wearing it for a few weeks, I decided that the latest model was perfect for my ring.

I ordered my ring on March 20th and the orders page informed me that it would be shipping sometime around April 6th. I eagerly awaited this date, to see it come and go with no shipping announcement. This was not entirely unexpected, as printing a silver ring requires a lot more steps than printing a plastic one, and since I wasn't on any kind of timeline, I patiently waited.

I got an email yesterday at noon saying that my ring had been mailed. What was so amazing was that I saw on the UPS site that it had been mailed with OVERNIGHT shipping! I didn't order overnight shipping, so it was a huge surprise when I saw that.

As I write this review now, I am wearing my wedding band and am very happy with it. I would never expect a company to overnight a product to me when they were just a bit overdue on production, and for this I am writing this shining review. So thank you shapeways for the amazing customer service and the amazing ring!

2. flypig
    flypig Member
    It's good to read this positive feedback. I've had good experiences with Shapeways so far, and it's good to hear I'm not alone.

However, I'm disappointed you didn't post a link to your ring, or a picture of the result. Any chance you could share it for the benefit of the rest of us?!

3. cakenggt
    cakenggt Member
    Sorry for the non-update. The shapeways blog actually did a feature on my story, which can be found here.

4. flypig
    flypig Member
    Thanks - that's a great story and a very romantic proposal! Beautiful rings too. This really is what makes 3D printing so brilliant. Like your smelting experience I know I'll never have the skill to properly create objects any other way, so 3D printing breaks down those barriers.